English Giltwood and Marquetry Centre Table

English Giltwood and Marquetry Centre Table

In the manner of MOREL & SEDDON (worked 1827-1868)
English Giltwood and Marquetry Centre Table

Date & Origin 1830, England
Dimensions
H
72 cm (28 inc)
W
143 cm (56 inc)
D
68 cm (26 inc)
Description
A Magnificent Library Centre Table of Exhibition Quality of the George IVth Period, in the Manner of Morel & Seddon

Constructed in amboyna, with holly and specimen woods used in the inlays; rich and extensive employment of carving and gilding of exceptional quality; the table of end support form, conjoined by an addorsed tapering ring turned stretcher, carved with lobes; the end supports of triangulated form, rising from platforms supported by winged claw feet, carved with gilded foliates and acanthus leaves, with a stylised thyrsus staff issuing leaves and tendrils, inlaid in Holly; the sides sumptuously carved with gilded foliates; the serpentine top having pendant teardrop gilded finials at the angles; the thumbnail moulded edge gilded, having a running band of holly inlaid flowering anthemion in the outer reserve, and an exuberantly inlaid marquetry posy of spring flowers, in exotic woods to the centre.
Circa 1830
Literature
Morel & Seddon of 13 Great Marlborough Street London

The partnership of Nicholas Morel, who had formerly worked for the Prince of Wales, later George IVth, on his residences at Carlton House and the Brighton Pavilion since the cusp of the 18th/19th Centuries, and George Seddon, of the large and established cabinet makers Seddon and Sons of Aldersgate Street came into being in 1827, when Morel, of French extraction, was awarded by George IVth the monumental task of refurbishing the apartments at Windsor Castle; his partner of choice was Seddon, whose expertise was coupled with a large workforce, as they were noted as the largest cabinet makers in London in the 18th Century, thus having the capacity to process large orders. The Windsor Castle commission was worth almost £200,000 to the company. Hugh Roberts book, 'For the King's Pleasure', published by Royal Collection Enterprises in 2001 illustrates many of the pieces made for the commission, and concordances may be noted between these, and our Library Table. The firm seemed to have had the Crown as their main clients, with further work being carried out for William IVth, although a large commission was carried out for the Marquess of Stafford in 1830 worth £15,000. Morel's name disappears from the records in 1831, and the company of G & T Seddon, although awarded the Royal Warrant in 1832, had great difficulty in extracting the £200,000 from the Crown for the Windsor commission, which led to a near bankruptcy in 1840. The firm eventually closed in 1868.

Sources
The Dictionary of English Furniture makers 1660-1840, published Furniture History Society 1986
'George IVth and the Furnishing of Windsor Castle, de Bellaigue & Kirkham, published Furniture History Society 1972
John Pollard Seddon, 'Memoirs', published 1858
'For the King's Pleasure' Hugh Roberts 2001
'Sophie in London' Sophie Von La Roche 1786
Medium
amboyna, holly, specimen woods, giltwood
Condition
Excellent
Stock Code 7567
P.O.A
Dimensions
H
72 cm (28 inc)
W
143 cm (56 inc)
D
68 cm (26 inc)
Description
A Magnificent Library Centre Table of Exhibition Quality of the George IVth Period, in the Manner of Morel & Seddon

Constructed in amboyna, with holly and specimen woods used in the inlays; rich and extensive employment of carving and gilding of exceptional quality; the table of end support form, conjoined by an addorsed tapering ring turned stretcher, carved with lobes; the end supports of triangulated form, rising from platforms supported by winged claw feet, carved with gilded foliates and acanthus leaves, with a stylised thyrsus staff issuing leaves and tendrils, inlaid in Holly; the sides sumptuously carved with gilded foliates; the serpentine top having pendant teardrop gilded finials at the angles; the thumbnail moulded edge gilded, having a running band of holly inlaid flowering anthemion in the outer reserve, and an exuberantly inlaid marquetry posy of spring flowers, in exotic woods to the centre.
Circa 1830
Stock Code 7567

More from this Dealer

View All
19th Century Mahogany Pedestal Desk
Satinwood Marquetry Side Cabinet
A Mantlepiece Clock in the Louis XVI Manner
‘Amor Della Terra’ Marble Statue By Cesare Lapini
Pair of Satinwood Inlaid Cabinets in the Neo-Classical Style
Important 19th Century French Side Cabinet with Painted Court Scenes
19th Century English Walnut and Ormolu Mounted Centre Table
Pair of Kingwood Side Tables with Porcelain Plaques and Gilt Mounts
Satinwood and Ormolu Folio Cabinet with Expandable Easel
19th Century French Ebonised and Pietra Dura Side Cabinet
Amboyna, Ebony and Gilt bronze Display Cabinet
A Good Pair of Antique Orientalist Bronze Statues by Jean Jules Salmson (1823-19...
Coromandel and Gilt Brass Writing Desk
Magnificent Oak Partner's Desk Made in the Gothic Manner
A Pair of Blue Sèvres Lamps
Butchoff Antiques
Est 1964
18th-century and 19th century English and Continental furniture, mirrors, objects d'art, clocks
154 Kensington Church Street | London | W8 4BN | England View Location
t +44 (0)20 7221 8174
f +44 (0)20 7792 8923
m +44 (0) 7974 575 554
Open Monday-Friday 9.30am -6.00pm; Saturday 9.30 am - 4.00pm