Amboyna, Ebony and Gilt bronze Display Cabinet

Amboyna, Ebony and Gilt bronze Display Cabinet

In the manner of JACKSON & GRAHAM (worked c.1836-c.1885)
Amboyna, Ebony and Gilt bronze Display Cabinet

Date & Origin c. 1885, England
Dimensions
H
184 cm (72 inc)
W
83 cm (32 inc)
D
38 cm (14 inc)
Description
A Very Fine Display Cabinet in the Manner of Jackson & Graham

Constructed in amboyna and ebony with gilt bronze and inlaid ivory accents; rising from toupie feet with brass bands, having a shaped plinth with rounded everted angles, the lower cabinet having a shelved and mirror backed interior, with glazed doors with thirteen pane astragal mouldings flanked by turned and fluted columns with gilt Corinthian capitols; the apron with a central gilt bronze tablet depicting a scene from the antique, flanked with ivory arabesques; the upper cabinet of conforming style, but incurved, supported by columns, and two glazed doors with further ivory arabesque inlay, a running gallery over, with an inlaid swan neck pediment.
Literature
The firm of Jackson & Graham established in 1836 by Thomas Jackson and Peter Graham at 37 Oxford Street London, and for the next fifty years produced predominately high quality furniture and represented Britain at many of the international exhibitions. Their clients included Queen Victoria, Napoleon III, the Grand Khedive at Cairo and the royal palace in Siam. They were particularly noted for their fine marquetry work, the use of Wedgwood plaques, ivory inlay, rare woods, and fine casting of bronze mounts. They engaged the leading designers of the period, inter alia, Owen Jones, Bruce Talbert, Alfred Lorimer and Eugene Prignot. In the mid 1850's the workforce was recorded as 250, and by 1875, the company was employing 600 workers. They were feted exhibitors at many of the Great Exhibitions of the Nineteenth century, and frequent prize winners. At the Paris International Exhibition of 1878, the furniture jury noted of them ' the workmanship is so perfect that even with the aid of a magnifying glass scarcely the slightest imperfection is to be found'. In 1885 the company was absorbed by Collinson and Lock, who continued their standard of excellence.
Medium
Amboyna, Ebony, Gilt Bronze, Ivory, Mirror, Brass
Condition
Excellent
Stock Code 7655
P.O.A
Dimensions
H
184 cm (72 inc)
W
83 cm (32 inc)
D
38 cm (14 inc)
Description
A Very Fine Display Cabinet in the Manner of Jackson & Graham

Constructed in amboyna and ebony with gilt bronze and inlaid ivory accents; rising from toupie feet with brass bands, having a shaped plinth with rounded everted angles, the lower cabinet having a shelved and mirror backed interior, with glazed doors with thirteen pane astragal mouldings flanked by turned and fluted columns with gilt Corinthian capitols; the apron with a central gilt bronze tablet depicting a scene from the antique, flanked with ivory arabesques; the upper cabinet of conforming style, but incurved, supported by columns, and two glazed doors with further ivory arabesque inlay, a running gallery over, with an inlaid swan neck pediment.
Stock Code 7655

More from this Dealer

View All
A 19th Century Pair of George IV Specimen Marble Top Tables
Carved White Marble Figure of a Flower Girl Signed to the Base 'Monti'
Pair of French 19th Century Porphyry and Ormolu Candelabra in the Louis XVI Mann...
A Rare 19th Century Nautical Desk Set with Historic Monogram
A Fine Baronial Late 19th Century Solid Onyx Box by George Betjemann & Sons
A French Napoleon III Gilt Bronze Clock in the Louis XVI Manner
A Pair of Georgian Mahogany Pedestal Cupboards
French Console Table of the Directoire Period
A Regency Double Sided Library Bookcase
Carved Oak Barometer by E Cetti, Brook Street
Ormolu & Marble Centre Table
Set of 8 Mahogany Dining Chairs in Gothic Manner
English Pollard Oak Centre Table
Painting of 'Kew Gardens'
Pair of Chinese Baluster Form Lamps in Famille Rose
Butchoff Antiques
Est 1964
18th-century and 19th century English and Continental furniture, mirrors, objects d'art, clocks
154 Kensington Church Street | London | W8 4BN | England View Location
t +44 (0)20 7221 8174
f +44 (0)20 7792 8923
m +44 (0) 7974 575 554
Open Monday-Friday 9.30am -6.00pm; Saturday 9.30 am - 4.00pm